We all love our kids, but let’s face it…it’s hard to keep up with them all the time and have eyes on them 24/7.
Here are 10 tips from safekids.org to help make your home safer for your kids.
- Use approved safety gates at the top and bottom of the stairs, and attach them to the wall if possible.
- Give young children your full and undivided attention when they are in and around water.
- Keep cribs clear of objects, and make sure that babies sleep alone, on their backs and in a crib every time they sleep.
- Develop and practice a home fire escape plan, with two ways out of the house in case of a fire.
- Make sure there is a smoke alarm on every level of your home, and test the batteries every six months. Install carbon monoxide alarms on every level of the home, especially near sleeping areas.
NOTE: Schedule your home security or automation consultation with me by clicking my scheduling calendar here.
- Keep all medicine up and away and out of sight of young children, even medicine you take every day. Be alert to medicine stored in other locations, like pills in purses, vitamins on counters and medicine on nightstands.
- Store all household cleaners and other toxic products out of children’s sight and reach.
- Program the Poison Help line into your phone and post it in your home where caregivers can find it easily in an emergency: 1-800-222-1222.
- Secure TVs by mounting them to the wall or placing them on a low, stable piece of furniture.
- Install window guards or window stops to keep children from falling out of windows.